Resistance Variation with Temperature
Look Ahead Carry Adder
Ground Clearance of Different Transmission Lines
Water MeterClosely Related Articles
Solar Energy System | History of Solar Energy
Types of Solar Power Station
Components of a Solar Electric Generating System
What is photovoltaic effect?
Staebler Wronski Effect
Working Principle of Photovoltaic Cell or Solar Cell
Characteristics of a Solar Cell and Parameters of a Solar Cell
Solar Cell Manufacturing Technology
What is a Solar PV Module?
What is Standalone Solar Electric System?
Steam Boiler | Working principle and Types of Boiler
Methods of Firing Steam Boiler
Fire Tube Boiler | Operation and Types of Fire Tube Boiler
Water Tube Boiler | Operation and Types of Water Tube Boiler
Steam Boiler Furnace Grate Firebox Combustion Chamber of Furnace
Feed Water and Steam Circuit of Boiler
Boiler Feed Water Treatment Demineralization Reverse Osmosis Plant Deaerator
Coal Combustion Theory
Fluidized Bed Combustion | Types and Advantages of Fluidized Bed Combustion
Steam Condenser of Turbine
Jet Condenser | Low Level High Level Ejector Jet Condenser
Surface Steam Condenser
Economics of Power Generation
Cooling Tower Useful Terms and Cooling Tower Performance
Cooling Tower Material and Main Components
Power Plant Fire Protection System
Hydrant System for Power Plant Fire Protection
Medium Velocity Water Spray or MVWS System for Fire Protection
Foam Fire Protection System
Fire Detection and Alarm System
Gas Extinguishing System
Electric Power Generation
Power Plants and Types of Power Plant
Thermal Power Generation Plant or Thermal Power Station
Hydro Power Plant | Construction Working and History of Hydro power plant
Nuclear Power Station or Nuclear Power Plant
Diesel Power Station
Why Supply Frequency is 50 Hz or 60 Hz?
Economiser in Thermal Power Plant | Economiser
MHD Generation or Magneto Hydro Dynamic Power Generation
Cogeneration | Combined Heat and Power
Thermoelectric Power Generators or Seebeck Power Generation
Cost of Electrical Energy
Gas Turbine Power Plant
Steam Dryness Fraction
Superheated Steam and Steam Phase Diagram
Vapour Properties Mollier Chart Heat Capacities
What is Steam Flashing?
How to Calculate Steam Consumption During Plant Start Up
Effective Steam Distribution System
What is Water Hammer?
Engineering Thermodynamics Part 1
Science of Engineering Thermodynamics Part 2
Basic Law of Conservation and First Law of Thermodynamics
Carnot Cycle and Reversed Carnot Cycle
Enthalpy Entropy and Second Law of Thermodynamics
Rankine Cycle and Regenerative Feed Heating
Rankine Cycle for Closed Feed Water Heaters and Rankine Cycle Cogeneration
Ideal Verses Actual Rankine Cycle
Rankine Cycle Efficiency Improvement Techniques
Wind Energy Electricity Generation
Theory of Wind Turbine
Wind Turbine | Working and Types of Wind Turbine
Basic Construction of Wind Turbine
Staebler Wronski Effect
Explanation of Staebler-Wronski EffectThe Stabler Wronski theory suggested that when intense light falls on hydrogenated amorphous silicon, the electron-hole pairs are created which again combine with neighboring Si-Si bonds that have weak foundation.
During recombination process the tremendous amount of energy is released which creates defects and causes degradation noncrystalline structure of the hydrogenated amorphous silicon. The recombinations occur especially in those regions where the band edges are very close to one another energetically and also have the smaller concentration of hydrogen. The breakage leads to enhanced hydrogen diffusion, and the creation of dangling bonds (H atom then forms a new bond with neighboring Si atom), and this reduces the flow of current by tapping electron-hole pairs. The movement of hydrogen atoms is responsible for the creation of dangling bonds. This phenomenon in hydrogenated amorphous silicon reduces the conversion of light energy into electrical energy. The Staebler Wronski effect reduces the efficiency of solar cell up to 15 % within the first 1,000 Hrs.
Factors which affects Staebler-Wronski Effect
- Hydrogen Concentration - Hydrogen concentration plays an important role in Staebler-Wronski Effect, which breaks further bonds and causing dangling bonds which obstruct flow of electrons.
- The Physical State of Silicon - It has been noted that hydrogenated amorphous silicon is more suitable for making the solar cell than nanocrystalline silicon. Amorphous silicon contains the substantial quantity of hydrogen which passivates Si dangling bonds and results in an improved electrical property. But it has the property of forming Si-H bond which degrades upon light soaking and attends a metastable state and this disorder of amorphous silicon suffers more from Staebler-Wronski effect.
- Concentration of Impurities - The efficiency of hydrogenated amorphous silicon depends on the material quality. Staebler-Wronski effect is associated with the concentration of impurities in the material and this effect causes blocking in annihilation. But now this theory does not hold good as it is well established by experiments that best quality of hydrogenated amorphous silicon (a-Si:H) has an inhomogeneous distribution of hydrogen and hydrogen increases the band gap in hydrogenated amorphous silicon, which creates density fluctuations.
- Temperature - The Staebler-Wronski effect is more effective below 400ok. But at high-temperature Staebler-Wronski effect reduces drastically. Heating the material above 200oC can anneal back the effect. After a sustained temperature, breakage by bond-pair is limited and healing beats breakages and recovery starts from there. The Staebler-Wronski effect disappears when the band gap falls below the critical level.
Methods to Overcome Staebler-Wronski Effect
- Use of polycrystalline, multi-crystalline or single-crystal silicon in place of amorphous silicon as they show more stability than a-Si.
- Working at high temperature as this effect disappears or becomes weak at high temperature.
- Use multijunction solar cell. In this cell, thin layers of amorphous silicon are stacked with some other materials to form a solar cell. When intense electric field passes through these amorphous silicon layers, the effect of Staebler-Wronski get reduced.