System of Electrical Wiringon 24/2/2012 & Updated on 27/7/2018
Rate the page.
What is Electrical Wiring?Electrical wiring is the electrical power distribution through the wires in a perfect manner for economic use of wiring conductors inside a room or building with better load control. Electrical wiring system is classified into five categories:
- Cleat wiring
- Casing wiring
- Batten wiring
- Conduit wiring
- Concealed wiring
Material Used in Cleat Wiring
- VIR or PVC insulated wires
- Weather proof cables
- Porcelain cleats or plastic cleats (two or three grooves)
Procedure of Cleat WiringIn this wiring VIR or PVC insulated wires are braided and compounded on walls or ceiling with the help of porcelain cleats. The wires can be weather proof. Simple wire laying is done in this scheme of wiring. In present days, this kind of wiring scheme is not recommended for house or building. Only in temporary army campus or festival related pandels this wiring is used.
Advantages of Cleat WiringThere are some advantages of this type of wiring.
- Cheap and easy wiring
- Easy to fault detection
- Easy to repair
- Alteration and addition is easy.
Disadvantages of Cleat WiringThe disadvantages of this wiring are
- Bad appearance
- Exposed to weather to be affected by humidity, rain, smoke, sunlight etc
- Chances for shock or fire
- Used in only 220V in low ambient temperature.
- Not long lasting
- Sag happens
Material Used in Casing Wiring
- VIR or PVC insulated wires
- Casing Enclosure (made of wood or plastic)
- Capping (made of wood or plastic)
- Casing and capping joints.
Procedure of Casing WiringThis kind of winding is very old fashioned. Generally PVC or VIR insulated wires are carried through the casing enclosure and capping is used to cover the casing.
Advantages of Casing WiringAdvantages of this kind of wiring scheme are
- Cheap and easy to install
- Strong and durable wiring
- Customization can be done easily
- Safe from smoke, dust, rain and steam etc.
- Due to casing and capping no risk of shock.
Disadvantages of Casing WiringThere are some disadvantages in casing wiring; they are
- Very costly
- Not suitable for weather with high humidity and acidic conditions.
- Insect like termites or ants can damage wooden casing and capping.
- High risk of fire.
Material Used in Batten Wiring
- CTS or TRS cable
- Straight teak wooden batten (at 10 mm thick)
- Tinned brass link clip ( buckle clip)
- Brass pins
Procedure of Batten WiringGroup of Single or double or three core cables are used to be laid on straight teak wooden batten. The cables are hold with help of tinned brass link clip or buckle clip. Brass pins are used to fix the buckle clips on the wooden batten. Buckle clips is fixed with brass pin on the wooden batten at an interval 10 cm for horizontal runs and 15 cm for vertical runs.
Advantages of Batten WiringThe advantages of this kind of wiring are given below.
- Easy installation
- Cheap in material cost
- Appearance is better.
- Customization is easy
- Less chance of leakage current
Disadvantages of Batten WiringThe disadvantages of batten wiring are
- Not suitable for outdoor wiring
- Humidity, smoke, steam etc directly affect on wires.
- Heavy wires are not recommended for this wiring scheme.
- Only suitable for below 250 V.
- High risk of fire.
Material Used in Conduit Wiring
- Class A conduit: thin layer steel sheet low gauge conduit
- Class B conduit: thick sheet of steel high gauge conduit
- VIR or PVC insulated cables
- GI wire of 18SWG
- Rigid off set
- 2-hole strap
- Lock nut
Procedure of Conduit WiringThis kind of wiring is not easy to install. On the surface of the wall or ceiling conduit pipes (with GI wire inside) are attached with help of 2-hole strap and base clip at a regular certain distance. Next GI wire is used to lay down the wires through the conduit pipe.
Advantages of Conduit WiringThe main advantages are
- The safest wiring
- Appearance is better
- No risk of fire or mechanical wear and tear.
- No risk of damage of cable insulation
- Safe from humidity, smoke, steam etc.
- No risk of shock
- Long lasting
Disadvantages of Conduit WiringThe disadvantages of conduit wiring are
- Very expensive
- Installation is not easy
- Not easy to customize for future
- Hard to detect the faults.
Material Used in Concealed WiringSame materials are used in concealed wiring as conduit wiring.
Procedure of Concealed WiringConcealed wiring is properly named as concealed conduit wiring. It is very laborious to install. The layout of this wiring is done under the plaster of the wall of the building. Conduit pipes are buried under the plaster of wall with GI wire inside. After, with the help of GI wires, the main PVC insulated cables are drawn through the conduit.
Advantages of Concealed WiringSame as conduit wiring
Disadvantages of Concealed WiringSame as conduit wiring.
Rating = 3.75 & Total votes = 4