Simplifying Boolean Expression using K Map
Minterm Solution of K MapThe following are the steps to obtain simplified minterm solution using K-map. Step 1: Initiate Express the given expression in its canonical form Step 2: Populate the K-map Enter the value of 'one' for each product-term into the K-map cell, while filling others with zeros. Step 3: Form Groups
- Consider the consecutive 'ones' in the K-map cells and group them (green boxes).
- Each group should contain the largest number of 'ones' and no blank cell.
- The number of 'ones' in a group must be a power of 2 i.e. a group can contain
- Grouping has to be carried-on in decreasing order meaning, one has to try to group for 8 (octet) first, then for 4 (quad), followed by 2 and lastly for 1 (isolated 'ones').
- Grouping is to done either horizontally or vertically or interms of squares or rectangles. Diagonal grouping of 'ones' is not permitted.
- The same element(s) may repeat in multiple groups only if this increases the size of the group.
- The elements around the edges of the table are considered to be adjacent and can be grouped together.
- Don’t care conditions are to be considered only if they aid in increasing the group-size (else neglected).
You may also be interested on
Hence the next term is B. This yields the product term corresponding to this group as A̅B. Similarly the 'one' in the Group 2 of the K-map is present in the row for which A = 1. Further the variables corresponding to its column are B̅C̅. Thus one gets the overall product-term for this group as AB̅C̅. Step 5: Obtain Boolean Expression for the Output The product-terms obtained for individual groups are to be combined to form sum-of-product (SOP) form which yields the overall simplified Boolean expression. This means that for the K-map shown in Step 4, the overall simplified output expression is A few more examples elaborating K-map simplification process are shown below.
Maxterm Solution of K MapThe method to be followed in order to obtain simplified maxterm solution using K-map is similar to that for minterm solution except minor changes listed below.
- K-map cells are to be populated by 'zeros' for each sum-term of the expression instead of 'ones'.
- Grouping is to be carried-on for 'zeros' and not for 'ones'.
- Boolean expressions for each group are to be expressed as sum-terms and not as product-terms.
- Sum-terms of all individual groups are to be combined to obtain the overall simplified Boolean expression in product-of-sums (POS) form.
|R||RAHUL commented on 19/05/2018|
Great, Good Job for explaning the K map boolean expression. Keep it up. Best of Luck Update some More topics
|M||MUHAMMAD SALMAN commented on 06/05/2018|
Step 5: Obtain Boolean Expression for the Output check this step...is result is true?
|M||MANNU KUMAR commented on 30/03/2018|
This post cleared all my doubt regarding K-map.