Fluorescent Lamp and Working Principle of Fluorescent LampPosted by Sibasish Ghosh on 24/2/2012 & Updated on 3/9/2018
Rate the page.
What is Fluorescent Lamp?A fluorescent lamp is a low weight mercury vapour lamp that uses fluorescence to deliver visible light. An electric current in the gas energizes mercury vapor which delivers ultraviolet radiation through discharge process and the ultraviolet radiation causes the phosphor coating of the lamp inner wall to radiate visible light. A fluorescent lamp has changed over electrical energy into useful light energy to a great deal more proficiently than incandescent lamps. The normal luminous viability of fluorescent lighting frameworks is 50 to100 lumens per watt, which is a few times the adequacy of incandescent lamps with equivalent light yield.
How does a Fluorescent Lamp work?Before going through the working principle of a fluorescent lamp, we will first show the circuit of a fluorescent lamp in other words circuit of tube light. Here we connect one ballast, and one switch and the supply is series as shown. Then we connect the fluorescent tube and a starter across it.
- When we switch ON the supply, full voltage comes across the lamp and as well as across the starter through the ballast. But at that instant, no discharge happens, i.e., no lumen output from the lamp.
- At that full voltage first the glow discharge is established in the starter. This is because the electrodes gap in the neon bulb of starter is much lesser than that of the fluorescent lamp.
- Then gas inside the starter gets ionized due to this full voltage and heats the bimetallic strip. That causes to bend the bimetallic strip to connect to the fixed contact. Now, current starts flowing through the starter. Although the ionization potential of the neon is more than that of the argon but still due to small electrode gap, a high voltage gradient appears in the neon bulb and hence glow discharge gets started first in the starter.
- As soon as the current starts flowing through the touched contacts of the neon bulb of the starter, the voltage across the neon bulb gets reduced since the current, causes a voltage drop across the inductor(ballast). At reduced or no voltage across the neon bulb of the starter, there will be no more gas discharge taking place and hence the bimetallic strip gets cool and breaks away from the fixed contact. At the time of breaking of the contacts in the neon bulb of the starter, the current gets interrupted, and hence at that moment, a large voltage surge comes across the inductor(ballast).
- This high valued surge voltage comes across the fluorescent lamp (tube light) electrodes and strikes penning mixture (mixture argon gas and mercury vapor).
- Gas discharge process gets started and continues and hence current again gets a path to flow through the fluorescent lamp tube (tube light) itself. During discharging of penning gas mixture the resistance offered by the gas is lower than the resistance of starter.
- The discharge of mercury atoms produces ultraviolet radiation which in turn excites the phosphor powder coating to radiate visible light.
- Starter gets inactive during glowing of fluorescent lamp (tube light) because no current passes through the starter in that condition.
Physics of behind Fluorescent LampWhen a sufficiently high voltage is applied across the electrodes, a strong electric field is set up. A small amount of current through the electrodes filaments heats up the filament coil. As the filament is oxide coated, a sufficient amount of electrons is produced, and they rush from the negative electrode or cathode to the positive electrode or anode due to this strong electric field. During the movement of free electrons, the discharge process gets established.
The basic discharge process always follows three steps:
- Free electrons are derived from the electrodes, and they get accelerated by the electric field applied.
- Kinetic energy of the free electrons is converted into the excitation energy of the gas atoms.
- The excitation energy of the gas atoms gets converted into the radiation.
Rating = 3.88 & Total votes = 9