Trees and Cotrees
PSD or CSD
Digital to Analog Converter
Difference AmplifierClosely Related Articles
Construction of Alternator
Armature Reaction in Alternator
Rating of Alternator
Power Conditions in Alternators
Parallel Operation of Alternator
Motor Generator Set | M G Set
Principle of DC Generator
Construction of DC Generator
Characteristics of Series Wound DC Generator
Characteristic of Separately Excited DC Generator
EMF Equation of DC Generator
Parallel Operation of DC Generators
Self Excited DC Generators
Phasor Diagram for Synchronous Generator
DC Generators characteristics
Types of DC Generators
Characteristic of Shunt Wound DC Generator
Magnetization Curve of DC Generator
Applications of DC Generators
Types of Winding
Alternator Synchronous Generator | Definition and Types of Alternator
History of AlternatorMichael Faraday and Hippolyte Pixii gave the very first concept of alternator. Michael Faraday designed a rotating rectangular turn of conductor inside a magnetic field to produce alternating current in the external static circuit. After that in the year of 1886 J.E.H. Gordon, designed and produced first prototype of useful model. After that Lord Kelvin and Sebastian Ferranti designed a model of 100 to 300 Hz synchronous generator. Nikola Tesla in 1891, designed a commercially useful 15 KHz generator. After this year, poly phase alternators came into picture which can deliver currents of multiple phases.
Use of Alternator The power for electrical system of modern vehicles produces from alternator. In previous days, DC generators or dynamos were used for this purpose but after development of alternator, the DC dynamos are replaced by more robust and light weight alternator. Although the electrical system of motor vehicles generally requires direct current but still an alternator along with diode rectifier instead of a DC generator is better choice as the complicated commutation is absent here. This special type of generator which is used in vehicle is known as automotive alternator. Another use of alternator is in diesel electric locomotive. Actually the engine of this locomotive is nothing but an alternator driven by diesel engine. The alternating current produced by this generator is converted to DC by integrated silicon diode rectifiers to feed all the DC traction motors. And these dc traction motors drive the wheel of the locomotive.
This machine is also used in marine similar to diesel electric locomotive. The synchronous generator used in marine is specially designed with appropriate adaptations to the salt-water environment. The typical output level of marine alternator is about 12 or 24 volt. In large marine, more than one units are used to provide large power. In this marine system the power produced by alternator is first rectified then used for charging the engine starter battery and auxiliary supply battery of marine.
Types of AlternatorAlternators or synchronous generators can be classified in may ways depending upon their application and design. According to application these machines are classified as-
- Automotive type - used in modern automobile.
- Diesel electric locomotive type - used in diesel electric multiple unit.
- Marine type - used in marine.
- Brush less type - used in electrical power generation plant as main source of power.
- Radio alternators - used for low brand radio frequency transmission.
- Salient pole type It is used as low and medium speed alternator. It has a large number of projecting poles having their cores bolted or dovetailed onto a heavy magnetic wheel of cast iron or steel of good magnetic quality. Such generators are characterized by their large diameters and short axial lengths. These generator are look like big wheel. These are mainly used for low speed turbine such as in hydel power plant.
- Smooth cylindrical type It is used for steam turbine driven alternator. The rotor of this generator rotates in very high speed. The rotor consists of a smooth solid forged steel cylinder having a number of slots milled out at intervals along the outer periphery for accommodation of field coils. These rotors are designed mostly for 2 pole or 4 pole turbo generator running at 36000 rpm or 1800 rpm respectively.
Video on Basic Introduction of Alternetor
Closely Related Articles Working Principle of AlternatorConstruction of AlternatorArmature Reaction in Alternator or Synchronous Generator Rating of AlternatorDerivation of Various Power Conditions in Alternators and Synchronous MotorsInduction Generator | Application of Induction GeneratorParallel Operation of AlternatorMotor Generator Set | M G SetMore Related Articles Principle of DC GeneratorConstruction of DC Generator | Yoke Pole Armature Brushes of DC GeneratorCharacteristics of Series Wound DC GeneratorCharacteristic of Separately Excited DC GeneratorEMF Equation of DC GeneratorParallel Operation of DC GeneratorsSelf Excited DC GeneratorsHopkinson TestPhasor Diagram for Synchronous GeneratorDC Generators Performance CurvesTypes of DC GeneratorsCharacteristic of Shunt Wound DC GeneratorMagnetization Curve of DC GeneratorApplications of DC GeneratorsArmature Winding | Pole Pitch Coil Span Commutator PitchWave WindingWinding Factor | Pitch Factor | Distribution FactorLap Winding Simplex and Duplex Lap WindingFrog Leg Winding | Drum Winding | Gramme Ring WindingArmature Winding of AlternatorNew Articles Trees and Cotrees of Electric NetworkDifferentiatorIntegratorPhase Synchronizing Device or Controlled Switching DeviceDigital to Analog Converter or DACDifference Amplifier