Main Purpose of Hospital LightingWe know that good Illumination promotes
- The safety of the people who are using the building;
- Work and other activities carried out within the building comfortably;
- It creates a pleasing environment conducive to interest of the occupants ;
- It creates a sense of their well-being.
- Bring daylight scenarios into an office building.
- Enhance well-being and performance of staff.
The Fields of Hospital to be taken under Lighting Design
Lighting of Interior Portions of the Hospital
- Doctors’ offices
- Waiting areas
- First aid ward
- Corridors - staircase
- Operating room
- Maternity ward
- Patient rooms
Lighting of Exterior Portions of the Hospital
- Hospital Building
- Car Parking
- Entrance of Emergency Department
Required Illuminance Levels in main Portion of the Hospital
Types of Luminaire Used in Hospital
Luminaire used for Examination PurposeCharacteristics of luminaire used for examination purpose in the hospital are given below. For examination purpose Mobile type Luminaire is used basically. This luminaire is designed to aid any surgery. The halogen lamp is used basically in this luminaire. Again operation theater mobile lighting system lays maximum emphasis on comfort with a soothing yet brilliant blue-white light. Developed in close consultation with leading surgeons and supported by excellent international quality standard of Philips. The Philips S50 Mobile operation theater light is an example of mobile type luminaire. It has output Illuminance about 70,000 Lux. This Mobile type luminaire is used in
- Additional lamp in the O. T.
Operation Theatre LuminaireOperation Theater Luminaires use halogen lamps with proper filters to give cold bluish white light, almost similar to natural light which is ideal for surgeries of all types. The Lights incorporate international safety standards. Functions of Operation Theater Luminaire are given below:
- Shadow free lighting due to large-area polygon reflector;
- Homogeneous depth illumination makes refocusing unnecessary for changes of distance;
- Continuous adaptation of light intensity and illuminated field size to the requirements of the operating area;
- High-performance thermo-absorbing filter system is used for color temperatures similar to daylight with brilliant color rendition;
- The elimination of unwanted thermal radiation prevents tissue desiccation and provides cool comfort working beneath the light;
- No possible loss of light due to built-in reserve light;
- The alpha and omega for flexible and versatile operating area lighting from abdominal surgery up to orthopedics.
Features of Seven and Four Reflector Theater Light
- Diameter: 500 mm (Nominal) 500 mm+/- 50 mm
- Spring arm stroke 750 mm +/- 50 mm
- Field size 150-200 mm, 1600 mm (Nominal)
- Action radius 1500 mm (Nominal), 1,75,000 Lux (max)
- Light output 1,30,000 Lux (Max)
- Color temperature: 4200 +/- 300o K
- Halogen bulb 1 no., 7 nos. 12V,50 W each / 24V 70 W 4 nos. 12 V, 50 W
- Low voltage unit with CVT 230 V AC +/- 10% 230 V AC +/- 10%
- Input supply: 50 Hz +/- 2% 50 Hz +/- 2%
Patient’s Ward LightRequired Lux level for patient’s Ward luminaire is 150 to 200 Lux (maximum) and 20 to 50 Lux (minimum)
Conditions for Patient’s Ward Luminaire Installation
- Lux level varies patient to patient
- CCT must be 4000 K
- Smooth or cool light color
- No glare
- Uniform lumen distribution
Luminaire for reception and Nursing StationsAppropriate lighting levels – 300 Lux is recommended for reception and nursing stations. The luminaires used should have Color Appearance 4000 K and Color Rendering Index is 80+.
Corridors and Circulation AreasAppropriate lighting levels – 150/200 Lux is recommended for corridors and circulation areas. The used luminaires must have Color Appearance 4000 K – Color Rendering Ra 58+. Light source used for corridors and circulation areas are FTL, CFL, LED etc.