First Aid for Electrical BurnsPublished on 24/2/2012 & updated on Wednesday 23rd of May 2018 at 05:35:52 PM
HOME / SAFETY / SAFETY
- When we touch any live part of an electrical system, that system gets path to the earth through our body. If the voltage level i.e. potential difference is not very low, there will be a current flowing depending on body resistance flowing through our body to earth. It may make a deep third degree burn of the tissues while the current flows. This is direct electrical shock.
- There is another type of electrical accident which is called flash burn. This is due to huge electrical flashing in close vicinity of our body. This causes normally burning of our skins. This is usually not a deep burn and categorized as first or second degree burns. The flash burns, may also affect our eyes and in that case, initially our eye loses its normal vision but later gets its normal vision.
- If due to flashing the eyes are damaged, the patients must be brought to the doctor as early as possible. After any electrical burn, first aids are immediately applied to relieve pain, prevent infection and treat the shock.
- In case of limited burning, apply Vaseline or burn ointment over the burnt area. Cover ointment with a layer or two of five mesh gauze and secure with a roller bandage. Then take patient to a doctor for further treatment.
- In the case of major electrical burning, we should keep the victim case lying down with his head low. In that case we should cover him with blankets. Then immediately take him to the nearby hospital for further treatment. This is the practice. But if the hospital is not nearby from the place of the accident, then we first have to remove the clothing of the burnt person from the burnt area of his body. If the portions of the clothing are sticked with the burnt skin, cut the adhering cloths around the burnt skin and leave the rest for medical experts to do so; at hospital.
- Do not break blisters. Dip strips of clean freshly laundered sheeting into a solution of leaking soda or Epson salt in warm water and apply to the burnt area.
Please Rate this Article